The Information Office of the China State Council has issued its annual human rights report on the USA for 2013. They do this every year, since the US’s own report curiously omits itself from any analysis. The Chinese report highlights:
1. PRISM, the surveillance project that targets anyone and everyone, whether in the USA or abroad.
2. Gun violence: apart from the tens of thousands killed very year by guns in the USA, 137 people died in 30 mass killings.
3. Drone strikes, especially in countries such as Pakistan and Yemen, that have caused heavy civilian casualties. In Pakistan alone, 926 civilians have been killed with 376 drone strikes.
4. Homelessness and unemployment in the USA. 21 per cent of the lowest income groups are unemployed, and homelessness is at 16 per cent.
5. Child labour in the agricultural sector in the USA.
6. The USA has not ratified or participated in the following UN conventions on human rights: the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights; the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women; the Convention on the Rights of the Child; the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.